Monday, October 10, 2011

God's Gift Begets Huge Gift

So, you all remember the story of this photo. A wonderful woman I have never met went to visit her child in Korea. While at Holt, she snapped this photo of Zinny, not knowing who her family was. She came home and began searching for this little girl's mommy on the Korean forum, a long shot at best. I had joined the forum not long before, out of desperation for support from women in the same ugly long wait as I. Soon it turned into a huge mystery, who was the 'Girl in the Blue Dress'?
After many days of searching, someone thought to send the photo to me. It was Zinny! I carry this photo, along with all her photos on my iPhone, easy access to show everyone!




A few weeks ago I went to the Asian Market with my dad and husband. We were getting some kimchee. I had the brilliant thought that I would ask one of the employees if they carried the bag of snacks that Zinny is holding in this photo. I enlarged the photo so just the pink bag was showing, then I waited to catch the eye of an employee. They were very busy that day, so we went about our shopping. Dad got a giant jar of kimchee and got in the long line to pay. A lovely woman passed by my dad and remarked that he must sure like kimchee! She and my dad chatted a bit and then she went about her shopping. I was still trying to track down someone to help me, and then I noticed this same woman down one the aisles, and I decided to see if SHE knew of this snack. I showed her the photo zoomed in to show just the snack and she warmly and generously said she knew what it was, that she was Korean! Then a small voice (God!) told me to show her the entire photo, so I did, saying "This is our daughter!" Well, the next thing I knew we were both crying, hugging and struggling to exchange information. She was so lovely, she said she wanted to help Zinny and our family in any way she could. I knew, I just knew this woman was a perfect gift from God. It was a very powerful moment, I was overwhelmed with God's love! So overwhelmed I didn't realize when we were driving away that I had not given her even my NAME! I had her phone # so I thought that I would remedy my lack of social skills, when I called her. So imagine my distress when I called and learned the # was disconnected! Oh no!! What to do? I looked up what I hoped to be her address and mailed her a letter. It worked, and I spent several hours yesterday at her house, enjoying her wonderful hospitality as she taught me all things Korean! She took me to the Korean market, fed me an outstanding traditional Korean lunch, is translating my letters for Zinny's foster family(!), gave me a tour of Seoul on the map I brought, taught me some Korean (and told me the Korean I have spent months learning is wrong!), has offered to deliver food for Zinny when we get home, offered to teach me to cook Korean food properly, and if all this isn't enough, she has loaned me her podegi,the baby carrier she used for her own babies!!! Overwhelmed! How blessed am I?? Praise to you God for this beautiful woman!
Upon entering her home, on the wall hangs this Bible verse, in Hangul:

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Guess what my arm scripture is today....

No comments:

Post a Comment