Saturday, October 22, 2011

Subway Saturday

Yep, this is a trip of a lifetime. So much happened today, it's midnight, I'm starving and I need a shower bad, so I'll just stick to the highlights rather than write a novella.

Braved the subway today, and I think we have mastered it.






Thats Anne!




We made a dry run to DMCville where we will catch our city tour on Tuesday. Keep in mind that we are still waaayyyy the heck out in Incheon! (holt families after us, don't stay here! Haha it's serious time spent on the subway) it took us over 2 hours to get to Dmcville, 5 subway changes, 2 taxis! It went smoothly, and we always found someone to help us. Using my limited Korean has helped a lot!
There was a collection box for Holt children on counter at DMCville :


From DMCville hotel, we took subway in hapjeong and found Holt building. It is Saturday so it is closed, but what a huge, emotional moment. This is where we meet Zinny in just a few days. Surreal! I remember a mom on forum who came up out of subway only to chance upon her daughter, I totally thought of her because there was an older woman carrying a girl that could have been Zinny. Bout jumped out of my skin!


Then we went to the palace at City Hall.

We ate lunch at Paris baguette:



But my 'cheese' panini ended up having ham in it. So I got some bibimbap:




The menu was completely in Korean and they spoke no English, but I stepped out of my comfort zone and was rewarded with a yummy lunch. In fact I have spent the entire day out of my comfort zone!! And it was spectacular!

Went to Seoul Station to get train schedules for Monday. Think we are going to Gwangju City. Then we hit nam dae mun market.



My phone died then, so I couldn't take photos of our incredible dinner ordered at an open air grill. We shared a bottle of soju, well, half a bottle, whew! Tough stuff!

And then back to subway to make the long journey home before the subway shut down at midnight! We stopped in the bathroom at the station, and there was a girl charging her iPhone w/a converter in the bathroom and we looked at her and were like oh! We should do that. She, being an incredibly generous person, insisted on unplugging her phone and plugging ours in. Her English was very limited as is my Korean, but we carried on the best conversation! Drawing pictures, using charades, piecing together words, it was so fun! Then we exchanged emails! How cool! She said that I could write in English, thank goodness.

So here was our day in a nutshell, so many little stories, so much laughing! So much to tell, so much sleeping to do...

Before Subway Saturday:




After Subway Saturday:





I'd like to end this blog post with a shout out to Finn:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE WORLDS MOST HANDSOME AND SMARTEST 8 YEAR OLD!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an awesome day! Glad you had a successful dry run into Holt! Sammy is off to celebrate with his best . Can't wait for the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the fun details!! Sounds like you are making the best out of being so far out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "nang myun" will be cold noodle soup.... "la myun" will be hot noodle soup (like Ramun) Both vegetarian, as I recall. Most small restaurants would have them, I think. Can't wait to hear what you think of Seoul! Jill

    ReplyDelete